Quiche recipes usually call for a TON of eggs, which are high in cholesterol. However, this quiche recipe is different. You only use 4 eggs and it serves 8 people, which is less than 1 egg per person. You could also substitute Egg Beaters, if you are watching your cholesterol.
This is a delicious dish for an Easter or Mother's Day brunch. Baci had two servings of it one Easter, which speaks volumes.
Yesterday I made it with bacon and substituted the cottage cheese for an individual serving of non-fat PLAIN Greek yogurt. Make sure it's plain, not vanilla. Also, check out MealsandMoves Blog, for all the uses of Greek Yogurt in your cooking.
Spinach and Mushroom Quiche Ingredients:
12 ounces baby spinach
1 medium onion, diced
1 10-ounce container of mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 - 6 slices of bacon (optional)
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup milk
8 ounces cottage cheese OR individual serving (about 4 or 5 oz.) of non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup shredded cheese (like mozzarella cheese)
1 pie crust
quiche dish, or pie pan
1. Heat oil in saucepan. Sauté onions, mushrooms and garlic. Add thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Next add the baby spinach and cook until spinach is wilted. Set aside to cool.
2. While the vegetables are cooking, fry the bacon in a separate pan. Or if you're like me, microwave your bacon on a microwave-safe dish in between paper towels. Four minutes was the perfect time for six slices of crispy bacon, but that may depend on your microwave. Years ago, with a lesser-powered microwave, the rule in our house was one minute per slice.
3. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add milk, plain Greek yogurt, and spinach mixture to the eggs. Stir until blended. Set aside. I add a bit more thyme, oregano, salt and pepper here too.
4. Spray the bottom and sides of a quiche dish/pie pan and unfold the pie crust into the pan. You may have to stretch it, depending on the size of the dish. Poke bottom of pastry crust with a fork.
5. Pour spinach mixture into pie crust.
6. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
NOTE - Do not forget to spray your dish before you put down the pie crust.