a few tablespoons of butter
a few tablespoons of olive oil
1 package dried mushrooms, revived in warm water
10 ounces of fresh mushrooms, like button mushrooms
10 ounces of fresh mushrooms, like cremini or baby bella mushrooms
small onion, chopped
sprigs of fresh rosemary
32 ounces of vegetable broth
salt and pepper
barley - rinsed and soaked in 16 ounces of water
1 cup cream, or 2 tablespoons of sour cream
1. In a large saucepan (which has a cover), heat butter and oil. Add the revived dried mushrooms and cover with the lid.
2. After 2-3 minutes, add half of the fresh mushrooms (a combination of both varieties) and salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes - covered on low. If the mushrooms look dry, add some vegetable broth.
3. Next add the vegetable broth, barley with the water, and sprigs of rosemary.
4. In a separate pan, sauté onions and the remaining fresh mushrooms. Then add to the above saucepan.
5. Simmer the soup for about 1 hour. Add salt and pepper to taste and cream or sour cream at the end.
Note - soup will thicken due to the barley. You may want to add more vegetable broth or water. Make sure to remove the rosemary stalks before serving.
Thanks, Dad, for your recipe and pictures!