Today I turned our overripe bananas and left-over coconut milk into healthy, wholesome banana nut muffins.
For this recipe you'll need:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup ground flax seed meal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup coconut milk
5 tablespoons melted butter
Optional - about 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon sugar mixed with a tablespoon of melted butter
Makes 1 dozen muffins.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Add paper liners to muffin tins.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, walnuts, ground flax seed meal, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
3. In a separate bowl, add mashed bananas, coconut milk, butter and egg. Mix together.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix just until blended.
5. Evenly place the batter into the paper tins - filling about 2/3 of the way.
6. Bake for about 20-22 minutes.
7. (Optional) When the muffins come out of the oven, immediately top with cinnamon/sugar/butter mixture.