Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Quilt



The children's book The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle has metamorphosized into another crib-size quilt!  This baby quilt is a gift for my friend's new baby girl.  My friend is an art educator and Eric Carle is close to her heart, so I know they will treasure it for years to come.  

I purchased  four separate Very Hungry Caterpillar fabrics from The Eric Carle Museum: the fruit and junk food, very hungry caterpillar panel, very hungry caterpillar draft stopper for the sun, and color dots for the background.

The quilt is divided into three sections: top, middle, and bottom.  I cut pieces from the different fabrics and arranged them two per section.  Next I sewed the dot fabric around each piece and sewed the three sections together.   Most of the time (when I quilt) I center the blocks.  However, I saw another Very Hungry Caterpillar quilt that was off-centered, which reminded me that quilts do not have to be symmetrical.  In fact, the unbalanced blocks are pleasing to my eye.

Once I completed the quilt top, I brought the top and bottom pieces to The Bayberry Quilt and Gift Shoppe.  Within a few weeks, they quilted and bound it.   I am very pleased with the meandering orange lines throughout the quilt; it's as if the little insect really is inching its way over the leaf and through the fruit until it transforms into a beautiful butterfly.



No comments:

Post a Comment