Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

The recipe for healthy Mexican sweet potato skins became even healthier with the use of Greek nonfat yogurt instead of the cream cheese and sour cream.  Yogurt is the way to go!

I've made this fare twice.  The first time I followed her recipe and it was too rich - maybe my portions (for the creams) were a bit off, but anyway, this version is even better!  Last weekend I recreated this side dish for my family with Greek yogurt and it was a HUGE hit.  My Dad enjoyed it too and he is N-O-T, NOT a fan of any type of yogurt. 

In addition to the yogurt, I changed a few parts.  First I made enough for 10 servings (5 sweet potatoes) and microwaved the potatoes for a bit (in small batches) in order to cut them in half and scoop the insides out.  Also I roasted 3 ears of corn, used a whole jar of roasted red peppers, 2 cans of black beans, and of course the Greek nonfat plain yogurt - a single serving size container (about 5-6 ounces).  I incorporated some cheese into the mixture, but you could also melt the cheese on the top like the original recipe suggests.  When the potatoes were stuffed I baked them for about 20 minutes at 350°F.

A delicious and healthy side dish, or meal all on its own!

No comments:

Post a Comment