Friday, November 23, 2012
Kielbasa, Shrimp, and Chicken Gumbo
M made a heavenly, scrumptious gumbo for our camping trip; he prepared it at home and then we reheated it over the campfire. This hearty dish warmed our bones and we'll be eating it again - camping or no-camping.
The base recipe was from campingcafe.com and M added a few other ingredients, like kielbasa, chicken, diced tomatoes, sauces, and spices.
For Kielbasa, Shrimp, and Chicken Gumbo you'll need:
1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 box (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
1 box (14.5 oz) beef broth
4 cups water
1/2 lb. kielbasa, cut into bite-size pieces
diced chicken breast from 2 chicken breasts
1 can diced tomatoes, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon celery flakes
1 teaspoon Chesapeake Bay Style seasoning
1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 lb. medium shrimp, seasoned with Chesapeake Bay Style seasoning and cooked
Splash of Worcestershire sauce
Splash of Tabasco
1 box Zataran's jambalaya rice cooked, or rice of your choice
1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Gradually add in flour and stir. Cook until it's light brown, stirring often so the mixture does not burn, about 10 minutes. Pour in the chicken and beef broths and mix until blended.
2. In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat until hot. Add celery, garlic, green pepper, and onion. Cook until vegetables are tender.
3. Add all veggies, including the diced tomatoes, to the broth. Next add the kielbasa, chicken, herbs, salt and pepper, Worcestershire and Tabasco. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Then add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for about 1 hour.
5. In another pan, season the shrimp with Chesapeake Bay Style seasoning and cook. Add to the gumbo. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
6. Place the rice at the bottom of your bowl. Top with Kielbasa, Shrimp, and Chicken Gumbo and serve with a corn muffin. (We used Trader's Joe cornbread mix and made it into a dozen muffins.)